Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Carnival Fun {Math is Real Life Linky}


It's the first Wednesday of April which means it's time for our monthly linky - Math IS Real Life!!  If you want to see how the linky works, or just want other real world math ideas, check out our Pinterest Board of all the posts so that you can look back and find some great ideas and REAL pictures to use in your classroom!  

If you are linking up, please include the below picture AND a link back to all four of our blogs - feel free to use the 2nd image and the links listed below!


A monthly REAL WORLD math blog link-up hosted by


   ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

This past weekend, my family and I went to the a small carnival set up in our town. Before I get to the Math, here are a couple of shots from the day. The boys had a blast!!!




While at the carnival, I found there were many opportunities for Real Life Math . I have chosen one to share with you. Hopefully you can share these with your students. I mean after all, who doesn't love a carnival theme?

When we got to the carnival, we had to decide between buy individual tickets for $0.50 each or buying an unlimited rides armband for $20. Of course, we bought the armbands for the kids because we knew they wanted to ride a lot of rides and multiple times. We had to decide if it was worth it to buy ourselves armbands or just individual tickets. In the end, we decided to go with the armband so we would not have to mess with the tickets.

Here are some similar situations that you can use in your classroom to discuss this real life math situation. (And have the students practicing their multiplying and reasoning skills!)


My kids would love some math that "brings in" the local carnival. How do you hook your kids in with math?


   ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


2 comments:

  1. Your tickets at the carnival idea is similar to A LOT of other real life situations. I feel like I'm deciding things like this every time I shop! Great example of math in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea for a linky! I am your newest follower!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete

To Teach is to Inspire...