Tuesday, December 11, 2012

5th Graders Can Have Christmas Fun, Too!

 Why should primary teachers have all the fun for Christmas? I know, I know...we have SO much content to teach, re-teach, review, practice, assess. So, why not have the best of both worlds? Christmas themed content that is common core aligned!


We are ready for the next week with my Christmas themed literacy and math activities. We have already been having some Christmas division fun. Now onto some more!

Sorry the pictures are so blurry! I am not the best photographer in the world.

For our writing time, I have these common core aligned writing prompts! I have narrative, opinion, and descriptive to get my kids writing in all the genres with a fun Christmas theme!



For reading, I have a narrative story with a theme and a poem. Both of these have a fun Christmas theme! And the best part, they also have common core aligned activities to complete with both texts. Can you say engaging and relevant to the content?





Next up, we will be having a lot of fun in math as we review some of our previously taught skills.

We have a Santa Shopping List where the kids have to use their knowledge of computing with decimals to find the total for each list.



Then, there is a fun Polygon Wish List sort which requires the kiddos to sort the shapes by reading the requirements on each wishlist!


Last up, we have some Christmas candy comparisons. To up the rigor on this one, I am going to have the students draw models to justify their comparisons.




All of these items (and a lot more) can be found in my TPT store here!

How are you planning to have some Christmas fun in your classroom? Are you able to link it to the standards?
post signature

4 comments:

  1. Love these! I am not in the classroom currently, but believe me, I have SO many plans for when I do get my own classroom. I will definitely incorporate the holidays into any and every subject area so that each student gets the opportunity to have fun AND learn :)

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow fifth grade teacher, I hear ya! First graders shouldn't have all of the fun :)

    I think it's important to incorporate some holiday activities into the curriculum. It keeps the students engaged and they're more likely to do a math activity if there's a big red Santa Claus on it!

    We've been incorporating holiday ideas into our writing unit. We've been reading and analyzing different Christmas-themed books and poems, reviewing character, plot, and setting. The students are also trying their hand at holiday writing. We've written winter poems, narrative stories about our holiday traditions, and an imaginative piece about what it would be like to be a snowman for a day :)

    ~Jessica
    Joy in the Journey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer:

    I am sending you a BloggyHug on this difficult day.

    If you haven't heard about the Day of Silence for Sandy Hook, please go to Farley's blog and read about the plans...

    http://ohboy3rdgrade.blogspot.com/2012/12/silence-for-sandy-hook-elementary.html


    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering how many 5th grader teachers are teaching in a departmentalized 5th grade? If so are your reading and writing separate classes? If not how are those taught?

    ReplyDelete

To Teach is to Inspire...